Bentwood Inn Green Initiative Program
The Bentwood Inn is committed to operating in a sustainable manner. We are actively working to measure and reduce our environmental impact in every area of operation, including: water, energy, solid waste, landscaping and food preparation among others. You will find a list of our current initiatives below. The list is in no way final and will be a work in progress for a long time as we discover, learn about and implement new approaches to conserving resources and enhancing our guest experience in the valley.
At the Bentwood Inn we consider these “green initiatives” an integral part of doing business and invite our guests to learn about the steps we’re taking. If you have any suggestions for us during your stay – please share!
We are proud to be located in and a part of this award-winning, globally recognized sustainable tourism destination.
Natural History Interpretation / Guest Education
In addition to our green initiatives, the Bentwood is committed to providing our guests with the opportunity to learn about the incredible natural history of the region they have selected for their vacation experience.
- Natural History Library established in the annex of the Great Room, currently stocked with over 160 titles about the natural and cultural heritage of the region, including: wildlife, geology, trails, settlement history, land use patterns, etc.
- Occasional Natural History Lecture Series initiated with a Teton Science School naturalist. The lecture generally follows one of our Bistro dinners and is provided as an amenity to guests staying at the inn.
The audit was conducted in October, 2014, in order to identify opportunities for energy and water conservation with a focus on green initiatives. The following actions have been implemented to date:
- LED lighting installed in all public areas of the property.
- Tesla Electric Charging station and a second Universal Charging Station installed at the Inn
- Composting of yard waste and non-recyclable cardboard initiated on-site.
- All operations are powered by 100% renewable energy purchased from Lower Valley Energy.
- 2,000 feet of round wire fencing has been removed from property to allow for obstacle free wildlife movement.
- Recycling system in place for glass, aluminum and all JH allowable recyclables.
- Recognized as a “5 Star Business Leader” by the JH ‘Reduce, Reuse and Recycle’ Campaign.
- Natural and local product amenities can be found in all guest rooms (soaps, shampoos, salt scrub), packaged in compostable bottles.
- Food purchases emphasize local and organic; supply lines with local vendors established.
- BPA-free, Bentwood branded water bottles are provided as an amenity to our guests, eliminating plastic water bottle use.
- Timer for on-demand hot water supply has been installed, to reduce heat loss during off-peak hours.
- Carbon emissions calculated as a first step toward reducing and eventually offsetting our CO2 emissions.
- Use of 100% biodegradable and 100% compostable garbage bags, reusable grocery and produce sacks.
- Active business member of 1% For The Tetons, Sustainable Travel International and The International Ecotourism Society.
- Enthusiastic supporter of local, national and international conservation programs, with financial and in-kind contributions made to organizations such as the International League of Conservation Photographers and the IUCN Tapir Research Group.
Platinum GreenLeader Status with the TripAdvisor® GreenLeaders Program
We are proud to announce that the Bentwood Inn has been accepted as a Platinum GreenLeader into the TripAdvisor® GreenLeaders™ program. This is the highest level rewarded by TripAdvisor within this program.
The GreenLeaders program helps travelers around the world plan more eco-friendly trips by showcasing hotels and B&Bs engaging in a variety of environmentally-friendly practices. So, travelers are now able to search for lodging that have TripAdvisor GreenLeaders status on the TripAdvisor site, and view a detailed list of all of the eco-friendly practices that each property offers.
In order to make it to the Platinum GreenLeader status, a property must meet a set of the highest environmental standards, which were developed specifically for TripAdvisor by one of the leading environmental consulting firms.
As a long standing Gold level GreenLeader, we are especially honored to be recognized by TripAdvisor as a Platinum GreenLeader – their highest certification – for our continuing focus on operating a sustainable luxury inn in Jackson Hole, and helping preserve the unique Yellowstone Ecosystem we are privileged to share with guests.
Bentwood Inn is a proud recipient of the highest possible rating awarded by the prestigious Green Key Global Eco-Rating Program.
According to the certificate awarded by Green Key Global, the recipients of this great honor must fit the following requirements. “A hotel that has shown national industry leadership and commitment to protecting the environment through wide-ranging policies and practices. Mature programs that involve management, employees, guests and the public have shown substantial and measurable results.”
The Bentwood Inn Proudly Supports the Jackson Hole Sustainability Code of Conduct
Teton County is proud to serve as a global leader for their sustainable destination and community. The Jackson Hole & Yellowstone Sustainable Destination Program created this Code of Conduct with that vision in mind.
The purpose of the Jackson Hole Sustainability Code of Conduct is to:
- Serve as a “center pole” to guide our community in our environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic pursuits. We hope it helps us strive toward our vision of Jackson Hole as a world leading sustainable community and destination.
- Influence the behavior of ~22,000 residents and ~3.5 million annual visitors in their recreation in the natural environment and communities of Jackson Hole.
- Create a greater awareness and level of education of our sustainability values among all stakeholders: students, residents, visitors, businesses, nonprofit organizations, and government agencies.
- Provide a public relations and promotions tool for our destination and businesses.
- Promote opportunities for further engagement in and support of local sustainability initiatives.
For more information, please visit sustainabledestination.org.
The Bentwood Inn is constantly implementing green-friendly renovations to improve their efficiency and reduce their overall environmental footprint. We recently just updated all of our carpets, making our carpeting a certified CRI Green Label+, the highest carpet industry standard to make indoor environments as healthy and “green friendly” as possible.
Tesla Charging Station
In the summer of 2015 The Bentwood Inn expanded their green initiatives even further by teaming up with Tesla Motors to provide guests with a Tesla Destination Charging station on-site. The Bentwood Inn is now the only lodge property in all of Wyoming to offer the added amenity of the Tesla charging station for Tesla cars to charge directly from a power source.
Tesla car owners may have hesitated to make a trip to some of the more interesting parts of the country (like Jackson Hole) in the past, but now can experience this beautiful Wyoming area without concern of available charging outlets.
Be sure to book a room soon here at Bentwood Inn and take advantage of our newly installed charging station!