Bentwood Inn Green Initiative Program
The Bentwood Inn is committed to operating in a sustainable manner. We are actively working to measure and reduce our environmental impact in every area of operation, including: water, energy, solid waste, landscaping, toxics and food preparation among others. You will find a list of our current initiatives below. The list is in no way final and remains a work in progress as we discover, learn about and implement new approaches to conserving resources and enhancing our guest experience in the valley.
At the Bentwood Inn we consider these “green initiatives” an integral part of doing business and invite our guests to learn about the steps we’re taking. If you have any suggestions for us during your stay – please share!
We are proud to be located in this award-winning, globally recognized sustainable tourism destination.
Natural History Interpretation / Guest Education
In addition to our green initiatives, the Bentwood is committed to providing our guests with the opportunity to learn about the incredible natural history of the region they have selected for their vacation experience.
- Natural History Library established in the annex of the Great Room, currently stocked with over 160 titles about the natural and cultural heritage of the region, including: wildlife, geology, trails, settlement history, land use patterns, etc.
- Information regarding the Native People that inhabited the area first can be found in our guest books in each room and on display in the main lobby.
- Occasional informative dinners on Natural History Interpretation held at the Bentwood with community representative and guests. The Bentwood has a standing invitation for field biologists coming to Jackson to stay with us for free – in exchange for a presentation about their research.
Comprehensive Environmental Audit
The audit was conducted in October, 2014, and revised in October 2019 in order to identify opportunities for energy and water conservation with a focus on green initiatives. The following actions have been implemented to date:
- LED lighting installed in all public areas of the property.
- Installation of timers for all light fixtures on the property to conserve energy.
- Tesla Electric Charging station and a second Universal Charging Station installed at the Inn
- We manage and track a wide array of our environmental data through the software application “GreenView” designed for hotel operations.
- Installation of a water sub-meter that monitors the use of our water each month maintained with software that tracks usage and alerts about leaks.
- Composting of yard waste and non-recyclable cardboard initiated on-site and off-site with WyoFarm Composting.
- Bicycles on the property for guests to travel around with for free.
- Wind Power subsidy paid as part of our commitment to renewable energy. Commitment to install renewable energy systems by 2024.
- 2,000 feet of round wire fencing has been removed from the property to allow for obstacle-free wildlife movement.
- Recycling system in place for glass, aluminum, cardboard, and all JH allowable recyclables.
- Recycling bins and signs to remind guests to recycle placed around the property.
- Natural and locally sourced product amenities can be found in all guest rooms (soaps, shampoos, salt scrub), in reusable containers.
- Food purchases emphasize local and organic; supply lines with local vendors established such as Vertical Harvest and two share members of Community Supported Agriculture Coop Cosmic Apple Farms.
- BPA-free, Bentwood branded water bottles are available to our guests, eliminating plastic water bottle use.
- A two-tank system with a timer for on-demand hot water supply has been installed, to reduce heat loss during off-peak hours.
- Updated all of our carpets to certified CRI Green Label+, the highest carpet industry standard to make indoor environments as healthy and “green-friendly” as possible.
- Carbon emissions calculated as a first step toward reducing and eventually offsetting our CO2 emissions.
- Use of 100% biodegradable and 100% compostable garbage bags, reusable grocery and produce sacks in each of our guest rooms.
- An active business member of 1% For The Tetons, Sustainable Travel International, and The Riverwind Foundation.
- An enthusiastic supporter of local, national and international conservation programs, with financial and in-kind contributions made to organizations such as the International League of Conservation Photographers, the IUCN Tapir Research Group, Working Bikes, and many others.
Green Certification Efforts:
Platinum GreenLeader Status with the TripAdvisor® GreenLeaders Program
Platinum GreenLeader Status with the TripAdvisor® GreenLeaders Program, the highest level rewarded by TripAdvisor within this program. The GreenLeaders program helps travelers around the world plan more eco-friendly trips by showcasing hotels and B&Bs engaging in a variety of environmentally friendly practices. So, travelers are now able to search for lodging that has TripAdvisor GreenLeaders status on the TripAdvisor site, and view a detailed list of all of the eco-friendly practices that each property offers. In order to make it to the Platinum GreenLeader status, a property must meet a set of the highest environmental standards, which were developed specifically for TripAdvisor by one of the leading environmental consulting firms. As a long-standing Gold level GreenLeader, we are especially honored to be recognized by TripAdvisor as a Platinum GreenLeader for our continuing focus on operating a sustainable luxury inn in Jackson Hole, and helping preserve the unique Yellowstone Ecosystem we are privileged to share with guests.
Invited Member – National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World Collection. This collection of unique properties around the world is recognized as leaders in sustainability efforts. Membership is based on rigorous inspection and the Bentwood is very proud to have been invited to join.
Bentwood Receives 5 Green Keys Rating from Green Key Global
Bentwood Inn is a proud recipient of the highest possible rating awarded by the prestigious Green Key Global Eco-Rating Program. According to the certificate awarded by Green Key Global, the recipients of this great honor must fit the following requirements. “A hotel that has shown national industry leadership and commitment to protecting the environment through wide-ranging policies and practices. Mature programs that involve management, employees, guests and the public have shown substantial and measurable results.”
The Bentwood Inn Proudly Supports the Jackson Hole Sustainability Code of Conduct
Teton County is proud to serve as a global leader for their sustainable destination and community. The Jackson Hole & Yellowstone Sustainable Destination Program created this Code of Conduct with that vision in mind.
The purpose of the Jackson Hole Sustainability Code of Conduct is to:
- Serve as a “center pole” to guide our community in our environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic pursuits. We hope it helps us strive toward our vision of Jackson Hole as a world-leading sustainable community and destination.
- Influence the behavior of ~22,000 residents and ~3.5 million annual visitors in their recreation in the natural environment and communities of Jackson Hole.
- Create a greater awareness and level of education of our sustainability values among all stakeholders: students, residents, visitors, businesses, nonprofit organizations, and government agencies.
- Provide a public relations and promotions tool for our destination and businesses.
- Promote opportunities for further engagement in and support of local sustainability initiatives.
For more information, please visit sustainabledestination.org.
The Bentwood Inn is constantly implementing green-friendly renovations to improve our efficiency and reduce the overall environmental footprint. In August of 2019, we recently hired an in-house Sustainability Coordinator to oversee all ongoing environmental initiatives at the Inn. The Sustainability Coordinator is in charge of making updates to our Sustainability Management Plan monthly, as well as, tracking and interpreting all environmental data recorded on the platform GreenView. With the presence of a full time Sustainability Coordinator, the Bentwood is now looking to further its commitment to corporate environmental and social responsibility by going through the BEST certification process.
In the last three years, the Bentwood has on average decreased its carbon footprint by 20% each year with the implementation of the green initiatives. However, we acknowledge that we are responsible for the footprint left by our guests beyond the property. In the summer of 2015 The Bentwood Inn expanded their green initiatives even further by teaming up with Tesla Motors to provide guests with a Tesla Destination Charging station on-site. The Bentwood also provides free bike rentals and highly recommends guests to use the bike paths or bus to travel around the area. Beginning in 2020, we are also committed to bringing our laundry services 100% in-house. This will eliminate the use of a second party delivering our sheets and bath towels each week. We have also provided housing for 3 full time employees, eliminating the miles traveled each day to arrive at work. The Jackson Hole Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory commissioned by the YTCC, found in a recent study that 65% of GHGs in the Jackson area are from ground transportation. As a small business in the area, we want to do our part to help in lowering this percentage.