While many visitors flock to Jackson Hole for its close proximity to Yellowstone National Park, they are surprised to find that there are just as many wonderful things to do in Grand Teton National Park. Not only is this visually breathtaking park located just outside our Jackson Hole, WY inn, it’s also abundant with a wide variety of exciting outdoor activities. Here are just a few of our favorite ways to explore Grand Teton National Park that we’re sure you’ll love just as much as we do.
Planning a visit to Jackson Hole, WY soon? Then you won’t want to be without our free Vacation Guide! This planning tool is filled with all the best recommendations for things to do in Grand Teton National Park and in town. That way, all you have to do is choose your favorite activities and off you go! It’s the only thing you’ll need to plan the ultimate escape to Jackson Hole.
3 of the Best Things to Do in Grand Teton National Park
Hiking in Grand Teton National Park is a challenging but rewarding experience. The region’s jagged landscape and steep trails lead to unbelievable vistas that you won’t find anywhere else. Plus, there’s nothing like the peaceful solitude that comes with hiking amongst nature. Here is a quick look at some of the best hikes in Grand Teton National Park:
- Jenny Lake Trail: This 7-mile trail circles Jenny Lake and provides an easy walk for hikers of all levels. The trail’s breathtaking lake and mountain views draw many guests on summer days, so it’s best to head out early in the morning to avoid the crowds.
- Paintbrush-Cascade Canyon Loop: Adventurous visitors love this challenging 18.1-mile backcountry trek through the rocky canyons, alpine lakes, and open fields of the park.
- Lunch Tree Hill: Overlooking acres of willows and fields dotted with moose, Lunch Tree Hill is the perfect place to stop for a snack. It’s also rich in history; in 1926, John D. Rockefeller and his family enjoyed a picnic in this spot that inspired them to purchase the land and protect its breathtaking view of the Teton Range.
2. Enjoy a Scenic Drive
One of the best ways to experience the beauty of Grand Teton National Park is by driving through it! There are many roads and highways that wind gracefully through the park, giving travelers a wonderful view of the striking Grand Teton National Park scenery. It’s also a great way to experience the beauty of the park when you’re short on time. Here are some of our favorite drives that you won’t want to miss:
- Teton Park Road: Following the base of the Teton Range from Moose to Jackson Lake Junction, Teton Park Road offers 21-miles of scenery and passes trailheads, picnic areas, and several side roads. Be sure to watch for large animals on your drive.
- Grand Teton 42-Mile Loop: This famous loop takes visitors to some of the park’s most iconic features, including Mormon Row, Snake River, Cascade Canyon, and Blacktail Pond. You can also stop at several pull-off points to take pictures and watch wildlife without disturbing other drivers.
- Signal Mountain Summit Road: This road climbs 800 feet and offers panoramic views of the Teton Range, Jackson Hole Valley, and Jackson Lake. It’s about a 10-mile drive round-trip, and a short trail at the top offers spectacular views from the parking area.
3. Admire the Wildlife
Grand Teton National Park is home to countless species of wildlife. Visit Oxbow Bend (one mile east of Jackson Lake Junction), where you’ll find fish and river otters in the lake as well as moose and elk along the water’s edge. Or drive along the Antelope Flats and admire the grazing pronghorn in spring, summer, and fall. The Snake River is another great place to view wildlife like bald eagles, osprey, great blue herons, and more.
A more educational and organized way to the animals is to take a guided tour with Jackson Hole Wildlife Safaris. They offer a wide range of excursions that teach visitors about the wildlife, geology, and natural history of the park.
If you stay with us at the Bentwood Inn in Jackson Hole, you’ll have the opportunity to take advantage of our incredible Jackson Hole Wildlife Safari Package. This special offer includes a guided vehicle trip through Grand Teton National Park or Yellowstone National Park, a half or full day safari, light snacks and lunch, and more.
Experience Grand Teton National Park During Your Stay at the Bentwood Inn
Looking for the best Grand Teton National Park lodging? Then welcome to the Bentwood Inn, a rustic and eco-friendly bed & breakfast located in Jackson Hole, WY. Our inn is the perfect place to stay for couples and families and boasts top-notch accommodations and amenities. Reserve one of our gorgeous guest rooms, then take advantage of our complimentary concierge services. The Bentwood Inn has close working relationships with many of the top naturalists in the valley and will help you plan an unforgettable trip to the park. We can’t wait to hear all about your adventures!
Featured Image Credit: SeanXu/Getty Images