Jackson Hole, Wyoming, is an ideal destination for those seeking an adventure. The opportunities for outdoor excursions are almost limitless with the vast majority of the land area under some protection, including 2 National Parks and 3 wilderness areas. The laid-back atmosphere and friendly residents of the valley provide guests with unbelievable experiences. Whether you’re looking to get in touch with your inner naturalist, try something daring and new, or simply kick back and relax, these awesome Jackson Hole activities will help make your dream vacation a reality.
Jackson Hole Summer Activities
The busiest season in Jackson Hole is the summer, particularly in July and August, when visitors can enjoy beautiful temperatures ranging between 70 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Our favorite warm-weather activities include:
- Scenic float trips: These relaxing, meandering trips take you through the heart of Grand Teton National Park, with expert guides knowledgeable about the river and information about Jackson Hole wildlife, history, and geology.
- Hot air ballooning: Experience Jackson Hole from a bird’s-eye view on a peaceful hot air balloon ride! The majestic Teton Range rises 5,000 feet from the launch site.
- Whitewater rafting: Professional guides will take you on a thrilling whitewater rafting tour down the Grand Canyon of the Snake River.
- Summer wildlife safaris: Full and half-day safaris are offered in both Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. Expert naturalists lead you on an adventure that focuses on the geology, wildlife and natural history of the parks. Wildlife frequently encountered on these exciting safaris include bison, elk, deer, moose, pronghorn (aka antelope), fox, coyote, bear, bald eagle, trumpeter swans and wolves.
Jackson Hole Winter Activities
Winter runs from December through mid-April, where it snows frequently and temperatures drop between 0 and 30 degrees. Snow-capped mountains and crisp, fresh air make for an ideal winter getaway, where you can enjoy:
- Skiing: Feel free to explore alpine, cross-country, or back-country skiing right here in Jackson Hole. There’s a reason why Forbes Magazine has named us the best ski area in North America three years in a row!
- Sleigh rides: With Jackson Hole Vintage Adventures, you can have a luxurious experience in the wilds of Wyoming in a beautiful vintage sleigh drawn by a team of draft horses.
- Winter wildlife safaris: You’ll be able to see the amazing wildlife that roam Grand Teton National Park and the National Elk Refuge including bison, elk, moose, and even bald eagles on these once-in-a-lifetime tours. We always recommend Jackson Hole Wildlife Safaris to our guests, as their guides are trained naturalists and experts on the Yellowstone ecosystem.
Jackson Hole Fall Activities
Early fall in the Tetons is spectacular – especially if you are fortunate enough to experience “Indian Summer”, with warm days and cool, clear nights. Late fall in Wyoming can be unpredictable, with snow storms arriving as early as late-October and sometimes not until December. Regardless of the weather, there are tons of things to discover during the gorgeous fall months!
- Hiking & Biking: The trails at Grand Teton National Park are suited for all skill levels and range from easy nature walks to challenging rides, and are a wonderful way to see the beauty of the area firsthand.
- Horseback riding: The pristine panoramas of the Gros Ventre mountain range open before you on a half, full, or multi-day horseback ride with Green River & Bridger-Teton Outfitters.
- Paragliding: Be brave, bold, and rewarded with incredible views of the area’s fall foliage on a tandem paragliding flight over the valley.
End Your Day at the Bentwood Inn
No matter the season, Jackson Hole provides a vacation filled with new experiences and leaves guests with unforgettable memories. Plus, when you stay at our luxurious bed and breakfast, you’ll be just steps from all of the action and can retreat to our peaceful oasis after a day of exploring. Be sure to enjoy a delicious gourmet meal at our onsite restaurant, then restore with a peaceful nights sleep in one of our stunning cottages. It’s the perfect ending to a great day in Wyoming!
For more information on Jackson Hole activities and attractions, download our free vacation guide.
Photo Credit: deyangeorgiev | Thinkstock